Welcome to Year One, here are a few links and ideas to help support your child at home.
- Read a book you haven't read before. (Oxford Owls has some good free books to read online!)
- Read and follow some instructions.
- Put your books in alphabetical order.
- Rank your story books from most to least favourite.
- Choose a word or a sound to hunt for - how many times can you find it?
- Read to your toys - they love books as well.
- Lots more ideas on this page
- Keep a diary every day. This is a really good way to get your feelings out and can be a really good piece of history. We are living through a major historical event!
- Make up a story about one of your favourite characters from a book or a film.
- Draw and write your own comic book.
- Write the lyrics to your favourite song, but change them a little bit!
- Use big chalks to practise writing on the pavement.
- Use different writing tools, like felt pens, crayons, chalk or paint to write with.
- Lots more ideas here
- Play Countdown. Can you make a target number using only random numbers?
- Counting - How many toys do you own?
- Sorting - Can you sort your toys into groups, based upon certain criteria (i.e. soft, fluffy, metal, plastic)
- Sorting - Can you order toys from largest to smallest? Heaviest to lightest?
- Find and write down all objects with numbers on them in the house. How many do you have?
- Measure and record the length of a bean plant as the days go on.
- Bake a cake
- How many small containers of water fit into one large container?
Build a den from blankets and pillows. Use it as a reading area.
Make something using real tools. (With supervision!)
Learn computer science.
Learn how to DJ.
Learn a language as a family.
DIY Science Experiments
Make a treasure hunt around the house.
Look online for lots more ideas!
Websites to help support your child’s learning
This list is not exhaustive, but these (mostly) free websites can help to continue to develop skills at home. Please let the class teacher know if you have found a good website we could add to our list!
Games for various subjects:https://www.ictgames.com/
Help for home learning: http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/
Scratch Jr (programming): https://www.scratchjr.org/
Hour Of code: https://hourofcode.com/uk/learn
Purple Mash (School Login Required) https://www.purplemash.com/login/
Education City (School Login Required) https://www.educationcity.com/
Letters and Sounds:http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
Maths Playground: https://www.mathplayground.com/
British Antarctic Survey: https://www.bas.ac.uk/
Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps
Google Earth: https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earth/
National Geographic Kids: http://www.natgeokids.com/uk/