“…But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
The government is continuing to provide additional funding for the academic years 2018 to 2020 to enhance provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. Schools receive PE and sport premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. It is allocated to schools so that they may develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport activities that the school already offers. It is also allocated to build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years. This funding is allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools.
Schools are free to determine the best ways to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision. The main outcome being: increased numbers of pupils developing healthy life styles, raising their performance levels and engaging in PE and sport.
At The John Wesley CEMP School, this funding will be used to:
- provide whole staff professional development, ensuring challenging experiences for all children within PE and School Sport
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities
- support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, and running or extending school sports and holiday clubs
- offer broader experiences in a range of new and challenging sports for all to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- enter or run more sport competitions
- partner with other schools to run sports activities and clubs
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- ensure children understand and consider healthy lifestyles
- engage children in regular physical activity beyond the 2 hours of PE curriculum time
- provide additional swimming provision targeted to pupils not able to meet the swimming requirements of the national curriculum
- embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching
By allocating funding in this way we aim to achieve sustainable improvement for a time when funding is no longer available. Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.